Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Jailbreaking Iphone - Hacking the world's best phone


Since the time I planned to buy the Iphone, I had been following Zibri's blog. The software he had released for cracking the Iphone then costed 25$. But some others released a free version of the same. Praneeth downloaded the v2.2 firmware and an application "quickpawn" for cracking the phone. As soon as I reached his room we connected the phone to iTunes on his comp and pressed the restore button. It took some 20 minutes for the firmware to install and then the jailbreaking process. It flashed the ROM and what do we see ... "no service found". We again pressed the restore button but the connector being loose hung the process. The screen went blank - then a symbol saying connecting to iphone. We were afraid, it was not even restarting. Second thought : ..crap.. we had to use the right SIM not the AT&T one before cracking it. And then the entire process again with the BSNL sim and I had my fully functional Iphone in my hand.....
It was a really different experience using it - such smooth GUI and superfast response - it was simply amazing. I transferred my music an photos to it. Sound quality - simply mind blowing - this is THE phone I wanted. Next day I fiddled around with it for a while trying to install some apps but it required proxyless connection ! Next day I woke up at 12 and went to lab. Praneeth and Shubham were also there. Then we went to CC where Praneeth did some of his usual tricks and ran a proxy server on his comp to tunnel without authorization. Soon Cyndia - the third party installer started working through the CC wifi and we installed the SSH server and the Mplayer on it. Then transferred some videos to it. Tried running youtube but didnt work. Then the terminal and the OSX Finder.We stayed there till the entire battery drained out at 7 pm.
|Running the VNC service|
Then we went for food and came to my room. The 2nd session starts now. We connected to the iTunes and a huge bundle of apps awaited us. First the video recorder then the VNC client. Wow we connected to my laptop through VNC on phone - looked cool. Then Remote Itunes app to control my laptop's itunes through the phone. From virtual stethoscope to natural cures app to piano to flute to the amazing NES ROM games -- yes Mario and Contra ...we were simply under the phone's spell. Chess, car racing, dictionary, unit converter and graphic calculator and night stand - now it was not just a phone.. it proved to be a real Personal Digital Assisstant, rather a complete companion. We kept playing around till 12 before leaving for Hall 4 - a day fully dedicated to the world's best phone indeed.
Recently I also installed resistance value calculator, google talk, scientific calculator, photo editor, google earth, sudoku, chronograph watch and the best of all the dream IMU - it records the vibrations and sends them over via mail.

  

No comments: