Saturday, June 19, 2010

The cursed iphone[S] 3g[S]


Its summers again... yeah the beautiful summer which remind me of the summer of 2008, the most memorable period of my life when I was on internship in Sweden. I had just begun my journey with Apple with my white Macbook. It worked great. I don't know what was the impetus behind it, but something prompted me to try an iphone too. I started bidding on it on the US ebay and after 6 months of struggle I had it in my hand, the most amazing piece of creation in the world, the Iphone 2g. It has been my most wonderful companion for last one and a half years. While there has been some problem with its headphone jack recently, I had started using Shubham's iphone 3g whose touchscreen broke apart one day. Then one day Shubham's new iphone 3GS's screen also turned red and our group was bereft of any perfect iphone.


We ordered the components for repairing the headphone jack and Shubham's screen from ifixit.com. In the meantime I started looking for used 3GS on ebay and found some very nice deals in the range 300 to 400$. Though, I was unable to make payment due to paypal account not being verified. I asked Ankur Sharma to pay for one of them. After a lot of convincing, he did make the payment but the next day itself the seller rejected the payment saying that there was some breach of ebay policies. I was desperate to get the phone so I added Papa's credit card on the Paypal and got it verified and finally ordered a white Iphone 3GS. It reached Surbhi Goel's place in New Jersey in 4 days and she confirmed that it was almost like a new phone. We were happy. After arriving in Delhi, she was supposed to take a train from Delhi to Calcutta on the 13th evening. The train was supposed to pass Kanpur at 1 in the night. While we were preparing to go there, with the stuffed parathas as demanded by her, I called her for confirmation and it turned out that her flight was late and so she had missed the train. Now she was taking a flight for Calcutta in the morning at 10 am. Who would pick the phone from her in such a short time was the question. Shubham called his Dad and found out that he was arriving at Delhi airport at 9 am. He asked his driver who was coming to pick him to reach at 8 am and get the phone from her. It was definitely a big LUCK. Now how would it travel from Lucknow to Kanpur ??? Should we catch his Dad at the Lucknow airport itself or wait for some other opportunity? Next day I found out from Yadav travels about a taxi which would be coming from Lucknow and asked the driver, Anil to do this favor. When he was about to head towards Shubham's house, I asked Shubham to confirm from his parents about the same. And apparently there was no one at home. It was pretty disappointing. The driver came back without the phone.

Two days later, Vyas Sir was going to Delhi to give a presentation on broken rail detection. He was to leave for Lucknow at 7 am. Shubham and myself went to his place in the morning and talked to the driver once again. Limits of jugaadbaji no doubt!! We asked the driver to deliver an important paper at his house, the deed papers indeed ! He was not carrying any cellphone with him though, so that he could be contacted. He asked us to write our contact nos. on a paper. We wrote down our contact number and Shubham's address in Lucknow. We came back to the lab and slept dreaming about the phone. Around 9.30, I suddenly realized that we had not talked about the phone to anyone, neither to the driver nor at his home. I tried waking up Shubham to inform his parents. He said "He would call us once he is there and then we would tell him" and slept. Around 11 am, Papa called me asking to pick up the iphone from Shubham's house. I called his landline no. and came to know that the driver had left the papers but the phone was not handed to him. Papa finally sent someone to pick it up from his house. When Papa got the phone, he was excited and called me up telling that it was in an excellent condition. I could resist no more. The phone was coming nearer day by day. I finally decided to go and pick it up myself. We booked a taxi for 1 pm. When we are about to leave, the courier containing our parts arrived. It took us less than 2 hours to repair both the existing phones which is too fast considering the fact that involved lot of complicated soldering and wire management, and yaaay.. now I can again listen to music on it in the loudspeaker mode after 5-6 months.

We finally left for Lucknow where Shubham tried to unlock it but with no success. We were finally back at 1.30 in the night. It was one Iphone rescue day. Now I proudly claim to be the owner of the fastest and smartest phone ever. It also came with a beautiful white case and an anti-glare screen guard and of course in the original box with data coed and headphones. The condition is excellent and it looks great with the shining white back cover.




I tried jailbreaking it but as expected there appears to be no free solution available till 24th.

No comments: